Re: (TV) Naive? Questions on Music Biz Changes

my band is distributed in the US by a somewhat large  distributor.  THEY DO
NOTHING except act as a warehouse. If no one knows  you no one will. We're
asked to be their sales-staff and  cold call  stores to push our CD. It's
ridiculous. I'm told this is the norm these days and  we've checked with others that
confirm this. So...the bands push their CD's  every way they can and the
distributor gets a cut for storing and shipping your  CD to these stores. And you
can't act as your own distributor since the record  stores won't buy direct from
the band. So, what gives. I think with larger bands  doing internet downloads
you can make some $$ but for young bands like mone and  bands like Chris
Stamey Exp. (since he was brought up recently) it's tough these  days. When Chris
played Maxwells saturday I heard there were about 25-30 people  there and most
were guestlist people. My band made a couple of Best of 2004  lists and the
distributor could care less. No push to these markets where we  were listed, no
push when we play in different cities like tonite in Philly.  We've had ad's
placed with mags, reasonably good reviews etc. I'm glad it's not  my sole
source or any source for money

chris o'd