(TV) Naive? Questions on Music Biz Changes

Regarding the Jutta K interview in which he talks about releasing
an album of instrumentals [was it just instrumentals or not?] and an
album/dvd of his 'Music For Film' (apologies in advance for probable
incoherence  of Qs below---I don't know the concise record-business speak):

Is there really that much difference in labels or distribution-chain or
achieving
some level of market-or-airways-or internet-ether 'exposure', these days
compared
to say 1992 when Television's last new album was released (and its success
depended partly on whims and staff-stability at Capitol )?

Given Verlaine is never going to be signed/distributed by a big (or even
moderately sized)
label, in the context of simple business decision (leaving apart for a
second his quirky
personality and sometimes paranoia) why doesn't he sign a deal with someone
along the
lines of Interscope[sp/?] or even smaller?  What exactly are his *realistic*
options given
he's a cult recording artist at best?

More general but related:
Has the recording/music business changed much in last 8-10 years (*NOT
referring here to the
internet now allowing an additional outlet for distribution*, but vis-`-vis
ease of recording and then
releasing a record and getting some 'exposure').  E.g., have computers and
technology now made
it more economical/easier for musicians to record?

According to a good source, Tom [and Television?] records (and gets a
'discount') at Sonic Youth's
recording studio.
Do you think he'll ever record *and* release a new set of songs with lyrics?
Do you  think Television will?
Do you think there's any hope for the human race?

Are stories about bands releasing their 'stuff' over the internet and/or for
free and this having an
impact, just the exceptions that prove the opposite rule, and/or they were
already sufficiently
established to begin with (e.g., Wilco or others)?

	Leo

PS:  Did I have a dream that was *literally and technically* INSIDE another
dream [Brian and Russ, sorry
but not sufficient if you're 'just' aware your dreaming :>) ], or did
someone really say TV liked the group Kean
(I'm not an implicit judgment on Kean here)?