Re: (TV) Naive? Questions on Music Biz Changes

> Is there really that much difference in labels or distribution-chain or
> achieving
> some level of market-or-airways-or internet-ether 'exposure', these days
> compared
> to say 1992 when Television's last new album was released (and its success
> depended partly on whims and staff-stability at Capitol )?
>
> Given Verlaine is never going to be signed/distributed by a big (or even
> moderately sized)
> label, in the context of simple business decision (leaving apart for a
> second his quirky
> personality and sometimes paranoia) why doesn't he sign a deal with someone
> along the
> lines of Interscope[sp/?] or even smaller?  What exactly are his *realistic*
> options given
> he's a cult recording artist at best?

I'd say the answers lie in a look at how various other
"reunion"/"comeback" records by artists of a similar vintage and
stature have done recently.  Look at the Soft Boys reunion record and
Mission of Burma... keep an eye on Gang of Four... plenty of other
examples.  I'd also say that in today's musical climate, TV has a
little more currency than in 1992 (more current bands owe more to TV
than they did back then, I'd say), and that yes, there's a possibility
that an indie label might be found with a bit more passion to promote
a new Verlaine or Television record than Capitol had, and that the
fanbase may be more easily reached online than they were 13 years back
(there's just plain more indie-rock journalism in existence, for
example).  All speculation on my part, thought.

> According to a good source, Tom [and Television?] records (and gets a
> 'discount') at Sonic Youth's
> recording studio.
> Do you think he'll ever record *and* release a new set of songs with lyrics?

The interview (which was wacky on several levels, so who knows) seemed
to mention several records, vocal and instrumental being almost done.
For my part, I don't see what the problem would be with a record that
was a mix of instrumental and vocal recordings... as long as it got an
all-new Verlaine record out there.  Just me?

> Do you think there's any hope for the human race?

These difficult questions, tell me a joke...

-Rex