RE: (TV) Is nothing sacred?

If you were lucky to hear it back in 72, isnt it a good thing that more people are exposed to it now ? or should good music only be presented to the elite ?

I'm all for it, if using Ramones and Iggy and the Stooges 'hits' or even the new york dolls and suicides demos on adverts (as has already happened) gets one person to check out the sources, then its a very good thing

I'm not going to turn Roadrunner down the next time just because someone might think I'm uncool because I'm playing "that advert song", I'll turn it up because it moves me

From: "Michael Olcsvary" <olcsvary@verizon.net>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Subject: RE: (TV) Is nothing sacred?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:20:33 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: stephen wilson

C'mon, 'Roadrunner' - it's pop music, nothing 'sacred' about it! Turn off
your TV if it bugs you.

At first I thought of responding to this with something pithy and succinct,
on the order of "bite me." Instead, I'll just say that in '72, when I first heard this on WBCN (about the only place on earth you could hear it then) it
was a revelation, a breath of fresh air, a call to arms -in other words, it
was IMPORTANT, goddamn it, a song that said you didn't need to play 20
minute guitar solos or sing about fairies and elves and the wee folk
(nothing against them - we may be related on my Irish side) to play some
rock and roll. So, to you it's just a pop song - to me it's a touchstone, a
benchmark, and something that still makes me turn the car radio up when I
hear it - in the same way "Little Johnny Jewel" or "Final Solution" is.  So
it bothers me when this wonderful song that's inspired a bunch of folks to
go out in their garages and makes some noise is now being used to shill for
motor oil (and yeah, it's a recreation, but at two chords and a Farfisa it's
still "Roadrunner.")  I guess I should find solace that it wasn't used to
sell laxitave.