RE: (TV) Is nothing sacred?

-----Original Message-----
From: stephen wilson

C'mon, 'Roadrunner' - it's pop music, nothing 'sacred' about it! Turn off
your TV if it bugs you.

At first I thought of responding to this with something pithy and succinct,
on the order of "bite me."  Instead, I'll just say that in '72, when I first
heard this on WBCN (about the only place on earth you could hear it then) it
was a revelation, a breath of fresh air, a call to arms -in other words, it
was IMPORTANT, goddamn it, a song that said you didn't need to play 20
minute guitar solos or sing about fairies and elves and the wee folk
(nothing against them - we may be related on my Irish side) to play some
rock and roll.  So, to you it's just a pop song - to me it's a touchstone, a
benchmark, and something that still makes me turn the car radio up when I
hear it - in the same way "Little Johnny Jewel" or "Final Solution" is.  So
it bothers me when this wonderful song that's inspired a bunch of folks to
go out in their garages and makes some noise is now being used to shill for
motor oil (and yeah, it's a recreation, but at two chords and a Farfisa it's
still "Roadrunner.")  I guess I should find solace that it wasn't used to
sell laxitave.