(TV) also mostly ot: more woman-with-guitar sightings

the recent discussion about "what you're listening to"
left me feeling so archaic and out-of-touch that i've
tried to branch out a little.  found two prospects of
interest:

caught susan alcorn (at susanalcorn.com, i think) who
is billed as an "avant pedal steel guitarist."  she
was playing with joe mcphee, who is really fab.
apparently started on slide guitar when she was very
young, progressed to lap steel, spend ages playing
standards in country acts, and then went with her
heart and went avant garde / free jazz-ish.  she's
from here in texas.  her stuff reminded me very much
of tom's instrumental music.

saturday night i braved the crowds to catch last town
chorus (lasttownchorus.com, i believe) at a sxsw
showcase.  this "group" is essentially a young woman
from brooklyn on lap steel, with interchangable side
musicians.  this music also reminded me some of tom's
instrumental work -- moody, dreamscape-y stuff, quirky
at times.  you can hear a fair amount of it at the
website (one cd available).

after that waited 2.5 hrs in line to see buddy miller,
who is one of the most amazing live guitarists i've
seen, and also a more than decent guy.

but my question is:

WHY DON'T MORE WOMEN MASTER GUITAR?

i really wonder about this, and would love for some of
you to brave discussion on the subject.  please let me
here from the geniuses, chronic musicians, drunk guys,
and the two or three other woman on this list.