RE: (TV) also mostly ot: more woman-with-guitar sightings

-----Original Message-----
From: tv-owner@obbard.com [mailto:tv-owner@obbard.com] On Behalf Of robin
dunn
 WHY DON'T MORE WOMEN MASTER GUITAR?

Well, having known a couple who could actually burn on the instrument, I'd
say it's down to (a) social pressure - ripping out a screaming lead is not
considered "ladylike" - and (b) the refusal of the word at large to take
someone who does that seriously.  Mimi Fox, one of my favorite jazz
guitarists, is terrific on the instrument (everyone go out and buy a copy of
"Kicks" now.  You'll thank me) but if I let people see the CD cover before
they hear it they dismiss it out of hand.  Same with Allison Robertson of
the Donnas, who strikes me as a terrific rock guitarist; people old enough
to know better say  "no way a chick can play like that!"  So I throw them
out.  After the beer's gone.