Re: (TV) OT : Milk-Eyed Mender

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:56:42 -0800 (PST), stephen wilson
<schlepworld@yahoo.com> wrote:
> (What I'm listening to)
> This has nothing to do with punk rock, (as Mark E. Smith says, 'I wouldn't have it in the house')but everything to do with: quirky lyrics, advanced string playing, and singing in funny voices.
> I'm talking about Joanna Newsom and her debut album 'The Milk-Eyed Mender' -

It's definitely interesting... my jury is still out, but it's
compelling enough to keep wrestling with, and transcends my original
impression of "Whoa, it's like a more fucked up version of Victoria
Williams".  What's weird is that I just found out that I've seen
Newsom perform live, as one of two keyboard players in the
Strokes-like band The Like, who opened for the Church last year.  She
struck me at the time as somebody's undertalented girlfriend stuck
into the lineup as eye-candy and because "anyone can play keys"...
never would have expected the heavy art-vibe and virtuoso harp-playing
from that chick!

You know what else is weird and cool?  Smoosh.  Check that out and
report back.  Not at all what you would expect from two pre-teenage
girls.

-Rex