Re: (TV) Distinctive voices

At 12:01 PM -0800 3/31/05, robin dunn wrote:
what is it
that causes some people to really enjoy music that is
antagonizing to most people (i.e. ayler, late
coltrane, vic williams)?  i really, really enjoy stuff
that totally irritates almost anyone who hears it.
the sounds make me happy.

I know what you mean. It's been a pattern with me since early adolescence and my encounter with Fred Frith's _Speechless_, which alienated some of my friends. Same thing with Tom, and Joel Phelps (whose voice I like a lot, but some people just can't take it). Then, like Rex, there's the electronica which many rock friends don't get. Lately I've been listening to Earth (sludge metal so slow that it overlaps into drone territory), which also seems to grate on some people.

BTW, Rex, your story reminds me of when I last worked in an office, and was listening to a lot of Naked City, Painkiller, Keiji Haino, and La Monte Young. Some of these (notably the Haino) tended to cause some stress for the CEO, as they sounded to him like the sound of a dying hard drive. The buzzing-fly noise on the one track of Naked City's _Absinthe_ wasn't received very well either.
--

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/   |   http://onezeromusic.com/