(TV) Brief Television Meltdown report

OK, this seemed like a revitalised band to me. Instead of Swells and 1880 or So, they opened with 2 brand new songs (un-announced, of course) and there were, I think, a further 2 new songs in the set (don't know the titles of those either, yet) So with those plus Stax, Balloon, Persia and The Sea there's surely enough for a new album. I did ask if they were going to be recording and Fred, cagily, said, "That's why they were written!" No-one actually said they are making a new album but no-one denied it, either. I'd say the omens are good.

Tom seemed more relaxed, at one point saying "You realise you're watching us rehearse?", and he appeared to be reading lyrics from a music stand. He also pointed out that he's got new tuner. A silent tuner. So no more three minutes of plinking noises between songs. He then announced that it didn't appear to be working properly, so it was more a case of one minute of silent tuning between songs. Which is progress.

For the first encore, Patti Smith appeared on stage and spoke/sang what I'm told was an "unpublished poem" with Television playing behind her. Actually, it was great and Tom's playing on this was, I thought, his most focussed playing of the evening.

Tom is in her band for the performance of the "Horses" album on Saturday and I understand that he will be playing some bass as the idea is to recreate the original recording as closely as possible.

Richard will be taking part in the Tribute To Hendrix evening on Sunday.

Songs in tonight's set (not in order):
4 new ones
1880 or so
Venus
The Sea
Prove It
Call Mr Lee
Persia
Balloon
See No Evil
Marquee Moon
Song with Patti Smith
Psychotic Reaction

Tom played the same blond Strat all evening, Richard switched between three Strats and Fred played his Kay bass.

A great gig. Oh, and Richard was _on fire_!