(TV) 99% OT: Shimmer, and Hella.

In an interview this week (see below) Al Kooper said:

Q. You got an iPod?
A. I have three. iTunes changed my life. I wasn't aware that people were
making
new music that's good.

Q. Recommend something.
A. A band called **Shimmer**, and one called **Hella**. They're both great.

Anyone familar with these two bands.

-
HANGING WITH MR. KOOPER
	Boston Globe, July 12, 2005; Page: E3 Section: Living
POP! His riffs have enriched some of the most memorable recordings in rock
'n' roll history, from Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" to the Rolling
Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Even after all that, though,
Al Kooper lives not in the English countryside like other rock royalty but
in Somerville. Today the legendary sideman who founded Blood, Sweat & Tears,
played with George Harrison, produced the Tubes' "White Punks on Dope," and
has been sampled by Jay-Z releases his first solo album in 30 years. Called
"Black Coffee," it's a satisfying mix of soul, blues, and R&B. We recently
chatted with Kooper.

Q. You've had a remarkable career. Was it all by design?
A.There was a lot of luck thrown in.

Q. In what way has the music business changed since you started out in,
what, 1958?
A. It used to be that the people who ran the record companies loved music
and to some degree were knowledgeable. That doesn't exist. What they know
about music now is evidenced by what's on the radio.

Q. Your contempt for the business is barely concealed.
A. I didn't know it was concealed at all.

Q. You got an iPod?
A. I have three. iTunes changed my life. I wasn't aware that people were
making new music that's good.

Q. Recommend something.
A. A band called Shimmer, and one called Hella. They're both great.

Q. Is there someone with whom you wished you worked?
A. I wish Ray Charles recorded a song of mine called "I Love You More Than
You'll Ever Know." That was my fervent hope. I almost had a song recorded by
Al Green, too, and that would have been fabulous.

Q. How's your health?
A. I lost two-thirds of my sight, but it's not supposed to get any worse.
I'm very thankful it was my eyes and not my hands or ears. But I've reached
the point where I don't leave the house much.

Q. You watch "American Idol"?
A. No.

Q. Bo Bice covered "Spinning Wheel" by Blood, Sweat & Tears. You were gone
from the band when that came out, right?
A. Correct. I don't care for that song. I liked it when it was called
"Lulu's Back in Town."

Q. Are you saying they ripped off that song?
A. They borrowed from it quite judiciously.

Q. You played the French horn on "You Can't Always Get What You Want." You
going to the Stones show at Fenway?
A. I have no idea.

Q. What do you make of them touring in their 60s?
A. A lot of my friends are blessed with the ability to sell tickets in a big
way. That's not something I share with them.