Re: (TV) TV confirms new albums

Well, there were already a few indications that Tom had "caved in" to the digital world...

Maurice wrote:
The first question that came to mind for me is what kind of computer/what software is he using. Like you, I find it a bit of a stretch, and I'd like to believe that he's using a CP/M system, but that wouldn't have been capable of digitizing live audio. This means he's using a Mac, PC, or some *nix system, which doesn't quite come into focus for me. I could see him rocking an old NeXT box, though...

Among other things there was that report about a possible DVD release of the Music for Films show. I presume the idea was to have all the short films on the DVD. I would also guess that the music has already been digitally recorded at one of the shows. Putting the whole lot together on one DVD is a fairly big project, but the demand could be big. I imagine a lot of people would love it.

Let me remind you of some of the things Tom said in the Jutta Koether interview two years ago -- see below.

--JoeT

+++++

J: When can we expect your symphony, or other grand music?

T: Gotta get to work on that quick!

J: Tell us about the musical projects you have been working on.

T: Television, live concerts. We do shows when somebody calls and wants us. It's easy and thus fun. Film music with Jimmy. We're hoping to release a DVD this year. It's seven silent films by European directors, Man Ray, etc., all under eight minutes, each accompanied by myself and Jimmy Rip on electric guitars...no overdubs. All the music was composed watching the films. It isn't just "play while the film goes by" or "make a tape and drop it in as a soundtrack." Some of it is very electronic sounding and more it is romantic, impressionistic stuff.

J: Other recordings?

T: Well, there is another instrumental record finished, with the fellows from the Warm and Cool sessions and that should be out by June. And there is about one and a half vocal records that need mixing and editing. Maybe they'll get finished soon.

. . .

J: Do you like living in our time?

T: Modern conveniences are great...the Internet, the speedy travel, the restaurants from every culture in one city, and probably modern surgery although I have never had any.

. . .

J: What would you like to do in the next ten years?

T: Get some records out at last... Get a house and a few quiet acres within a mile of the ocean... Throw together some kind of recording studio, with all the old fashioned gear me and my friends have managed to accumulate... See New Mexico... Hang out in Montreal a bit... Visit the great cathedrals of Europe!...Boppy boppy boppy!!!