Re: (TV) More on CBGBs, and Television at #2

On 8/4/05 12:39 PM, "Thomas Miller" <blackmonk@msn.com> wrote:

>>> Interms of INFLUENCE, I think Television is more
>>> important than The Ramones, but I am, admittedly,
>>> biased.
>>
>> I'd have to say that the influence is equally split, if you consider all
>> the kinds of bands that have acknowledged either band as an influence.
>> Sleater-Kinney has stated in interviews (and even a song) that both the
>> Ramones and Television are prominent influences on their music and sound.
>
> Much as I love Television, I don't think it's even close. The Ramones pretty
> much changed the way Rock is played. If you wander into a club at random,
> there's a much greater chance that the band onstage will be influenced by
> The Ramones than by Television. Add to that second-hand Ramones influence
> through the Sex Pistols, and you've got a good case for them being the most
> influential band since The Beatles.

The Ramones were instrumental (no pun intended) in squashing the formula
arena rock that was saturating the mid-70s with bombastic theatrics.
However, I think their influence was more ideological than musical. Punk
music requires an audience to work. Has anybody on this list or in the known
universe for that matter ever put on a Ramones LP and listen to it start to
finish? When I think of the influential bands of the 70's, I think of bands
like Talking Heads, Elvis Costello, The Clash and Joy Division. I daresay, I
hear Hawkwind's Quark, Strangness and Charm in more 80s music than I hear
the Ramones 3 chord speed riffs (Actually, that has changed in the late 90's
and 00s). I always hear about the "seminal band" Television being an
influence but I have never heard another band like them. Where are all the
bands with twin lead guitars? Thin Lizzy? Allman Brothers? Quicksilver?
Judas priest? Wishbone Ash? Moby Grape? It seems Television was the last of
an era as opposed to the beginning.

Just rambling,
mike