Re: (TV) More on CBGBs, and Television at #2

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Ehritz" <mikeez@earthlink.net>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 11:28 PM
Subject: Re: (TV) More on CBGBs, and Television at #2

On 8/4/05 12:39 PM, "Thomas Miller" <blackmonk@msn.com> wrote:

Interms of INFLUENCE, I think Television is more
important than The Ramones, but I am, admittedly,
biased.

I'd have to say that the influence is equally split, if you consider all
the kinds of bands that have acknowledged either band as an influence.
Sleater-Kinney has stated in interviews (and even a song) that both the
Ramones and Television are prominent influences on their music and sound.

Much as I love Television, I don't think it's even close. The Ramones pretty
much changed the way Rock is played. If you wander into a club at random,
there's a much greater chance that the band onstage will be influenced by
The Ramones than by Television. Add to that second-hand Ramones influence
through the Sex Pistols, and you've got a good case for them being the most
influential band since The Beatles.

The Ramones were instrumental (no pun intended) in squashing the formula
arena rock that was saturating the mid-70s with bombastic theatrics.
However, I think their influence was more ideological than musical. Punk
music requires an audience to work. Has anybody on this list or in the known universe for that matter ever put on a Ramones LP and listen to it start to
finish?

Frequently. Considering that there are at least three compliation albums of Ramones tributes and some bands have done albums of all Ramones covers, I'd guess I'm not the only one.