RE: (TV) spurts (thanks andy)

arrgh, thats the report I just didnt want to hear when I'm struggling for cash at the moment and its hard to justify something that I've pretty much already got !

whats the live version of blank generation like ? good sound quality ?

From: robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: (TV) spurts (thanks andy)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:41:08 -0700 (PDT)

yesterday i received the new richard hell compilation
via the great service of reflex u.k.

i'm very happy with the disc.  the song selection is
great, and the sound better on some (i.e. the dim
stars) than what i've heard elsewhere.  i am just so
impressed with hell's music -- strangely so, since he
is not known as a competent musician.  but those early
tracks with verlaine are magic.  hard to believe they
were recorded in 1973.

it's remarkable the guitarists hell managed to work
with.  verlaine, thunders, quine and julian, thurston
moore.  quine is the same genius on the voidoids
material here as he was on reed's "blue mask."  great,
great stuff.

the liner notes are worthwhile, and the pictures are
fab -- the front and back are striking -- very few cd
covers take my fancy, this one does.

fact is, verlaine's guitar on the neon boys' "love
comes in spurts" is probably my favorite guitar
recording of all time.  probably in the minority here,
but verlaine's earliest playing is my favorite of his
-- not that i don't enjoy listening to what he's doing
now.  and likely also in the minority here to say i
enjoy hell's solo work much more than verlaine's.

anyway, overall i like this one more than "time," and
recommend it.  and yes, even if, like me, you probably
already had this stuff in various forms.