RE: (TV) spurts (thanks andy)

--- Murray Ramone <murrayramone@hotmail.com> wrote:
> arrgh, thats the report I just didnt want to hear when I'm
> struggling for
> cash at the moment and its hard to justify something that I've
> pretty much
> already got !

Yeah, me too - I feel like Hell is just churning out compilations
there days, and kinda sloppy ones, too. I'm glad to see the Radar
"Kid w/ the Replaceable Head" finally make it to CD - one of my
favorite Hell tracks - but the b-side (the best version of "I'm Your
Man") is still vinyl-only. We get two, but not all three, of Hell's
Neon Boys tracks - you gotta track down the out of print Overground
CD EP for that. And numerous Voidoids rarities remain vinyl-only
(including the fun BG outtake version of "You Gotta Lose", and the
original LP version of "Down at the Rock 'n' Roll Club"). This is
odd, considering the band has such a slim discography - it's almost
certainly intentional. Hell's gotta make those royalties last, I
guess.

Imagine if, say, "Elevation" had been replaced with an alternate take
when MARQUEE MOON was first issued on CD, and the original version
had never reappeared. Or if the single mix of "Ain't That Nothin'"
continued to be available on vinyl only, even after Rhino's reissues.
For a band with such a tiny discography, it would make no sense at
all, except as a setup for future compilations.

An expanded reissue of BLANK GENERATION, with all of the alternates
and rarities included, would have been a lot more "essential" than
SPURTS.

And yet, there are just enough rarities for me to want to buy this.
Perhaps when it hits the used bins...

--Phil