Re: (TV) nearly completely ot: the roches

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 07:04:02 -0700 (PDT)
robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> so i picked up their first two albums, on cd now, and
> am just blown away.  the debut is brilliant.  the
> vocals, the writing, the production, the recording
> (worthy of rudy van gelder, imo).

Recorded in audio verite by Robert Fripp!  The Van Gelder comparison
is entirely appropriate, as the goal of both recordists is basically
to stay the hell out of the way and capture what happens as purely
as possible.

The first album has been one of my desert island disks from just about
the first moment I heard it.  It's amazing what joy and beauty is in the
human voice when it does this.

Hammond Song is sheer perfection for me, with Robert Fripp's other
perfect guitar solo (the other being on Eno's Baby's On Fire).  I spent
a long time learning to play this on the guitar, even though I can't
sing it worth beans.  It was serendipitous when a woman I occasionally
play music with saw it in my book and asked me to play it, I could
finally play it with someone who did it justice!

It's funny, I've owned the 2nd album for 25 years now, and never knew
that Fred and Jay Dee were on it.  I'll have to go back and listen to
it, I always end up passing it over to pull out the first album.