Re: Burnside / Parsing 'That's' / Another Case / RE: (TV) Dylan + Civil War -- Verlaine too?

Leo wrote:
Anyone suppose that *that's* **another case** of Verlaine
being inspired by Dylan?

Joe T., what does your "that's" refer to?  Does it refer to:
As Dylan did, Verlaine wrote about historical events? Or are
you referring to some other aspect?

I was referring to the Civil War connection. I wouldn't be suprised if Verlaine used to frequent the NY Public Library like Dylan did before him, and he might have heard of Dylan's interest in the Civil War.

I do think Verlaine is outstanding for not copying anyone else, but I think his approach to songwriting was influenced by Dylan.

Given the ubiquitousness of the Civil War in US culture (and
its enormity), I doubt very much Dylan had much to do with the
subject matter AND  frame or of WFTF.  None[?] of Verlaine's
songs have any 'political' references or a political' context.
Can't envision him ever trying or wanting to write a song like
Bruce Cockburn's "I Wish I Had A Rocket Launcher", or Dylan's
early stuff.

Agreed, though I'd say Verlaine was listening when Dylan was telling people "Don't read too much into my songs", or words to that effect.

I totally agree with the brilliant MM  List post of eternal PhD
candidate of Brown U., Jesse Hochstadt :>) , who once described
Verlaine's strong tendency to use 'impressionistic' lyrics. And
I agree several old posts by others on Verlaine's lyrics being
often being: less literal, amorphorous, (deliberately) vague, or
poetic----making them 'richer' sometimes than other songwriters'.
'Richer' in the sense of being more open to the listener's
own interpretation. But, of course, Dylan often writes lyrics
like as well.

Re:  your " ... **another case**  of being inspired by Dylan".
I believe many in rock were inspired and influenced by
Dylan's song writing, even the Stones (e.g., "Beggar's
Banquet").  What are a few other specific cases of Dylan's
influence on TV besides performing the cover of "Knockin' On
Heaven's Door", and indirectly via admiration of Mike
Bloomfield's session work for Dylan?.

For example, both men show a fearless willingness to incorporate incidents from real life -- however trivial -- into their songs. Especially whims and feelings, often what seem like passing feelings, about girlfriends. Think of "4th Time Around" from Blonde On Blonde. I bet Tom loved that song. Both were happy to use images from dreams in their songs, especially Tom, but I'm sure a lot of the imagery is real-life and literal. Though the poetic sensibilty tended to influence the choice of words more than the urge to tell a story did, so the songs tend not to come out as very literal -- in both cases. (Here of course I'm not thinking of early Dylan or some later songs such as "Hurricane".)

I think it's interesting to find some connection, and even similarity there, when the two men are so different from the start. Dylan's primary instrument is his voice, while Verlaine's is his guitar. Not that I don't like Tom's voice... And both are great lyricists.

Speaking of Burnside... Did anyone notice the recent death of RL Burnside:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/obituaries/story/0,,1562647,00.html

Burnside, like Tom Verlaine, had two tracks on the Big Bad Love soundtrack album (2002). The second of them, the Dylan song "Everything Is Broken", featured a guitar solo by Buddy Guy, who was one of Richard Lloyd's inspirations.

--JoeT