Re: Burnside / Parsing 'That's' / Another Case / RE: (TV) Dylan + Ci vil War -- Verlaine too? tv@obbard.com

In message <0351E411702FA84A966DD30E5519124B530C07@vntmail03.volpe.dot.gov>, "Casey, Leo J" <Leo.J.Casey@Volpe.dot.gov> writes
I forget the author's name (former NY Times writer?) of the late 1980's Dylan biography, "No Direction Home"

Robert Shelton?

I never knew that the musicians were deliberately kept in the dark about the song other than the day before hearing him sing parts while he played a piano, or that the musicians didn't really rehearse the song [according to Marcus], and that the released version was the very first take of the session.

This explains the constant feeling that the song is surging towards an end only to start another verse. Terrific song.