Re: Burnside / Parsing 'That's' / Another Case / RE: (TV) Dylan + Ci vil War -- Verlaine too? tv@obbard.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Casey, Leo J" <Leo.J.Casey@Volpe.dot.gov>
To: <tv@obbard.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 7:30 PM
Subject: Burnside / Parsing 'That's' / Another Case / RE: (TV) Dylan + Ci vil War -- Verlaine too? tv@obbard.com

Re:  your " ... **another case**  of being inspired by Dylan".
I believe many in rock were inspired and influenced by
Dylan's song writing, even the Stones (e.g., "Beggar's
Banquet").  What are a few other specific cases of Dylan's
influence on TV besides performing the cover of "Knockin' On
Heaven's Door", and indirectly via admiration of Mike
Bloomfield's session work for Dylan?.

Either I didn't know that or I'd fogotten it, but since Verlaine and Bloomfield are two of my favorite guitarists, that makes sense. It seems like most of the guitarists I like (Richard Thompson, Robert Quine) would take Bloomfield over Clapton. That makes sense, too.

Speaking of Dylan, I recently heard Greil Marcus on a Boston/NPR
radio station discussing for 1 hour his recent book on Dylan's
"Like A Rolling Stone". Book claims it is the greatest song ever
written in the history of Western civilization!---maybe even one
of the greatest works of art ever produced in any form. I never
knew that the musicians were deliberately kept in the dark about
the song other than the day before hearing him sing parts while he
played a piano, or that the musicians didn't really rehearse the
song [according to Marcus], and that the released version was
the very first take of the session.

That sounds like a bit of myth-making. According to Al Kooper (who admittedly never tells the story the exact same way twice), there had been a couple of takes with the other keyboard player at the session on organ before he moved to piano. At that point, Kooper bluffed his way onto organ and made up a part on the spot. I don't know where Dylan singing parts to the musicians comes into it. He didn't work that way, writing parts for the other musicians on his sessions. --------------