Re: (TV) Maybe OT: Is music less precious?

In message <000001c5bc1d$b7e615b0$a64c7147@mine>, Michael Olcsvary <olcsvary@verizon.net> writes
So, has this almost universal availability made music less important to the populace at large, simply because, like Starbucks, it's everywhere? Discuss.

Yes, definitely. To the great joy of record companies everywhere, it's finally become a disposal commodity. The musical equivalent of McDonalds crap - Fast Music. People are now wearing elevator music in their ears, all day long. They don't care that it's compressed to 10% of its original size because they either don't know or because (in the case of our eldest teenager) it's more important to be able to fit 5,000 songs on to the dreaded iPod so that his bus ride into school every day can be accompanied by the same 10 songs that he listens to all the time.

He had a friend staying over the other week, who was wearing a Bob Marley t-shirt. I put on an early Marley album and said, "Listen to this, guys". Son immediately asked, "Can I put it on my iPod?" I said, "No, it's a vinyl record, it's a collection of songs, it doesn't plug into your PC - just listen to it!" He plays music all the time but I could tell that it was too much trouble to go to just to hear it. He wanted to POSSESS it immediately so that it could maybe pop up at some point in the future on some random shuffle setting while he was waiting for a bus somewhere. Making time to listen to it never entered his mind.