(TV) Maybe OT: Is music less precious?

Bear with me here; this is something I've been wondering about.
Today, walk through an office like mine, and three quarters of the people
are plugged into an I-Pod or a variant thereof.  They're listening to music
they've downloaded or ripped.  They can listen to it at work, at home, on
the bus (when they're not babbling into their motherfucking cell phones), in
the supermarket, etc.
Years - okay, decades - ago, you had to go to the record store (or find a
record store that had the record you wanted), buy the album, and then make
time to listen to it.  Eventually the Walkman made portable music possible,
but you still had to locate and buy the album and in those dark, early days,
dub it onto cassette - in real time!  In other words, you had to make an
investment in time, as well as money, to listen to music.  Now you don't
have to - a couple of mouse clicks, a minimal charge (or not) per song and a
USB cable and you're good to go.  No more trips to the record store, no more
carefully discwashing the album, no more clearing out 45 minutes or
thereabouts so you can just listen. So, has this almost universal
availability made music less important to the populace at large, simply
because, like Starbucks, it's everywhere?  Discuss.

Oh, and to have some TV related content, Richard Hell at the University
Bookstore in Seattle on Monday at 6:30, I believe.