RE: (TV) Verlaine's Royalties / Tom's Dirty Laundry

-----Original Message-----
From: Leo Casey
Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 4:58 AM

We've touched on the size of Tom's song royalties before

know how royalties are estimated when a radio station just

plays 15-20 second snippets?  Are the royalties prorated

because snippet so short or does he get the full standard

amount he would for an entire song?  (I ask this because

over the years I've heard NPR use snippets of W&C a lot

over the years.)

It depends on a lot of factors.  When I was in radio (and things may have
been changed in the intervening 17 years, to the homogenization of
everything at the hands of *SLAP!* - okay, I'll stop) it was figured on a
per station basis for locally originated programming.  For "All Things
Considered," it'd be figured on the number of stations playing the program
and included in a blanket fee paid to ASCAP and BMI - that's the way it
works for syndicated programming, and I imagine NPR's use is handled the
same way.  They may get a discount because they're non-commercial, but ever
since Regan led the charge in eviscerating public broadcasting in
gener-*SLAP!*