Re: (TV) Interview from 87: Back to Walker

Rex wrote:
So I wonder if this is a slight homage, and if so whether or not it was
conscious or sunconscious on Tom's part. Most of us agree that there's
little to nothing rootsy or bluesy about Tom's guitar playing, but we know
from his interviews and choices of covers that where rock is concerned he
likes the Stones, the Troggs, the Count Five... basically recycled garage
band R&B, so The Animals fit that mold. Thoughts?

"Walker" would be too much of a coincidence. Tom must have been thinking of the Animals.

I may be alone in this, but I hear country tinges on "Flash Light"... check
out the string bend at the intro to "At 4AM", for example, and the
colloquialism "San Antone"... cross reference with the Johnny Cash covers at
the acoustic shows... are Tom's roots showing?

Spot on, I would say. And we know that Tom travelled in the south, and probably spent some time there. And there's the hillbilly persona he adopts in "Lindi Lu"...

Like Dylan, going from NY to the south, and finding inspiration; Tom must have been conscious of that. (Though I haven't seen the Scorsese film, yet.)

--JoeT

On 9/18/05, BlackMonk <BlackMonk@email.msn.com> wrote:
> Weirder still! Why did Burdon & Co. change it to "Walker"-- is that an
> English town?-- and is that what Tom was riffing on in his song (pun
> basically intended)?

I always assumed it was a town in the UK, though I never investigated. (So
why not do it now? There is a Walker in Newcastle, where the Animals are
from. Maybe that's how they won over their early audiences.) Lyrically,
there seems to be a connection. The earlier song has the singer telling
his
girlfriend "the big city is too much for you, you'd better go back to your
small town," and Tom is telling Janey "You don't want to go back to the
small town, it's a lot worse than you think."