From: Russ Van Rooy <russvr@pop.nwnexus.com>
To: tv@obbard.com
Subject: Re: (TV) Buckley movie
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:12:06 -0700

I saw it and have pretty mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, lots of great footage and interviews. On the orther hand - so much left out - no mention of his father ( Tim Buckley who had a longer and certainly impressive recording career, and whose voice and whose life was was hauntingly similar ), no mention of his early partnership with Gary Lucas, who helped write some of Buckleys' best songs like Mojo Pin, and maddenly little on his dealings with Verlaine;why for example, did he choose Verlaine to produce his second record... well I know it's because Buckly loved 'Marquee Moon', but this was never mentioned in the movie. What is apparent is the heavy handed editing , I would suspect, from Buckleys' mother and executrix. Not surprising I suppose, but it takes from the accuracyu of an otherwise fine documentary. To get a fuller look at both Buckley I would suggest the excellent double-bio "Dream Brother" by David Browne . Lastly, while it is true that Buckly is not nearly as well known and/or appreciated in the US as he should be, by the look of the massive crowd attending the movie I went to ( very young looking crowd I would add ,though you get that in Portland), his popularity is continuing to grow.
- Russ

leif joley wrote:

Has anyone seen the documentary "Amazing Grace: Jeff Buckley"? It was shown here in Stockholm this weekend, at a music film festival. Good movie, and Buckley himself really looked like a Young God, as someone who could make a straight man think twice about homosexual encounters. Only two brief mentions of Tom Verlaine, though; surprisingly few, since Verlaine produced the demos that became the late singer's final album. Some might know more about Buckley than I do, but apparently he fled NYC for Memphis to get a more "rootsy" feel to the follow-up to "Grace". Then why hire a New York hipster like Verlaine as producer? An immediate second thought here: parts of "Warm and cool" might have a "Souther Gothic" climate. But no other Verlaine recording, I think.

Jeff Buckley obviously never made it especially big in America, and isn't especially revered today either. Like some American film stars, his fame is more apparent in France, according to the film.

/Leif J, Sweden