Re: (TV) VU--say it all at once--jay pontrelli is the best. you are welcome...

robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> lou's (reputed) personality has never kept me from
> listening to lots of his music. but i must say i
> really enjoy it when artists turn out to be decent
> people. i don't think being an artist is a good
> excuse for being an asshole (tho' it's often used that
> way).

 Agreed. Sometimes reading about an artist and finding out they're an
asshole is depressing, but it's never made me sell back all of their albums
or anything.
 It can affect the listening a little bit, though. Lou's a perfect example,
in a few cases. I read a fair amount about "The Blue Mask" before I heard it
and was disappointed as a result... stuff like "My House", "Average Guy" and
"Women" sounded to me a little like doth-protesting-too-much about how
normal and domestic and straight Lou had become, and a little incongruous
next to stuff like the title track. Nice Quine stuff, though, before Lou
took to mixing his guitar down or deleting it altogether.
 -Rex