Re: (TV) A Rose By Any Other Name / Accent / Television Panned in W. Coast Review?!?

On 11/11/05, Leo Casey <LeoCasey@comcast.net> wrote:

> The first time I ever heard Lou Reed being interviewed on a
> Boston radio station in the early 1980s I almost fell out of my
> chair. His non-singing voice (its total lack of affect) was so
> freakin' weird, and dare I use another descriptor ... uncool.

  A lotta people would say that Lou's voice is *always* his non-singing
voice! And I might agree with them 1/3 of the time-- going back to the
earliest days he does talk-sing a lot. His voice has definitely seen better
days... his singing on the live VU reunion album (which is probably the next
to last thing I bought on which he performs) is just cringe-inducingly
frustrating, all the worse because all the playing (including his) is so
good, and Cale's vocal performances are excellent on all levels. Cale
singing "All Tomorrow's Parties" makes me tear up every time, while Reed on
"Venus In Furs" and "Some Kind of Love"... God, it sounds like he's never
heard the songs before, and someone handed him a lyric sheet and asked him
to guess which word went where. Let's not even talk about his pitch. What a
frustrating record. Sterling Morrison owns it, too.

Compared to Reed, James Iggy Osterberg sounded positively
> happy during a long NPR interview with Terri Gross this
> year)---the kind of guy who'd probably stop to talk to fans,
> who had recognized him on the street, for a moment or two
> (assuming of course there weren't a lot of 'em).

 Strangely I heard Terri Gross being interviewed about interviewing people
once, and she was asked who her worst interview subject ever was. She
immediately answered that it had been... Lou Reed.
 -Rex