Shouldn't Quibble / In the Swamp / Hook / Sleazy / RE: (TV) unbel ievable steal on a 5 cd box!!????

Couple of comments (don't interpret 'em
as complaints):

I've never heard of any of the bands on
that 5-cd boxed set, except for:

Kim Fowley, The Bees (maybe), Shadows
of Night (maybe), Yesterday's Children
(maybe), The Bobby Fuller Four, Shag(s)
(only if they were an all-girl band),
The Electric Prunes, The 5 Canadians
(consisting of Greg Grant, Eric
Veillette, and 3 Labatt drinkers),
and The Barbarians.

The last band were from Boston, and they
opened for the 1964 Beatles' outdoors
concert at the Suffolk Downs Racetrack
in Boston (Revere(?), MA). Or possibly they
were the opening act for the Rolling Stones'
outdoor show at the Lynn (MA) Bowl (or both)?
The Barbarians' drummer had only one hand,
but he used his Captain Hook-like
attachment very adeptly when playing.

Not sure if I'd categorize The Bobby Fuller
Four under the genre of Wild Psychotic
Garage Punk (or even under Garage-band).

Question: were the Electric Prunes also
originally from Boston?

	Leo

PS:  Warning, run-on sentence coming.
There's still a used (and new) cd/vinyl
store in Central Sq., Cambridge that in
the 1990s had one of its entire corners
devoted to a huge collection of just a
single kind of of music--this corner's
wall-sign categorized the genre as
'Swamp rock', and within that category,
about 10 sub-categories of 'swamp rock'
were broken-out.

The majority of these albums had been
recorded in the 1960s to late-1980s by
pretty obscure bands/performers, and
each had never been played but each
cardboard album was still hermetically
sealed in its original cellophane.

The store also had a similar big section
containing nothing but un-played,
cover-still-sealed-with-cellophane 'Swamp
Blues' albums.

And in the rear of the store, was, of course,
a whole section devoted to albums by 60's-early
70s rock bands--also still hermetically sealed.
Some examples: The Insect Trust, Paul Revere
and The Raiders, The Zombies, Blue Cheer, The
Bobby Fuller Four, Moby Grape, and The Seeds
(and a 100 other bands my mind can't dredge-up
at the moment).

I'll have to leave my work desk and go there
right now.

PPS: The store was/is called Cheapo Records.
The only few down-sides were that the
constantly on-site owner was a big fan (and
a record spinner at weekend dances or
conventions) of 1950's singing groups (e.g.
the song, "In The Still of The Night"), as
well as 1950s''do-wop'. Luckily he hardly
ever played any of this stuff in the store,
but also was an incredibly dishonest
business man.

For instance, he had a somewhat-faded, handwritten
sign that was a little larger than a postage stamp
taped to the underside of his heavily scratched
Plexiglas check-out/cash register's counter, which
read, "In order to return any defective new records,
they Must still have the [slit-ed] plastic cover
cellophane wrapper still attached."  (Most knowledge
vinyl records' customers knew it was best to
entirely remove the cellophane as otherwise, you'd
greatly increase the likelihood of your record(s)
warping over time.

I 'got him' once when I brought back to the store a
Link Wray compilation vinyl album (had some of his
'hits', plus his cover of the theme music for the
god-awful late-60s' tv show, "Batman"). My copy
clicked badly in a couple of places, but I had
not removed the slit-cellophane on the cardboard.

In addition, some of his store's inventory of
brand-new 1950s to mid-1990s unopened vinyl
albums, had been procured under illegal
circumstances, or/and through slimy, hard-ball
tactics. Know of one instance where he got
caught doing somthing along those lines; it
must have somehow included inter-state activity
as he received a large *federal* fine.  Let's
just say that he was The Anti-Andy Ferguson,
and he wasn't a 'rose'.