Re: (TV) Television for the masses / Johnny Cash

On 12/7/05, Ty Burr <tyburr@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Ha! Thanks, Rex, for saving me having to write the eventual review.
> Actually, this sounds depressingly like some of the scenes in "Walk the
> Line," with a fairly decent Jerry Lee Lewis and a completely bogus Elvis
> Presley cluttering up the background. There's even a Buddy Holly-lookalike
> at one point -- say what?

I need to see it again to see just how screwy some of the chronology is.
Yeah, the Buddy Holly guy is in there, but paradoxically a little earlier
there's a pretty good scene where June Carter yells at her tourmates for
being drunk, and if I'm not mistaken one of the actors in the scene is
Shooter Jennings portraying his dad Waylon (he has a little exchange with
Luther Perkins over picking styles).  As I have it figured Waylon would
either have been playing strictly local Texas gigs at the time, or, if
touring, would have been doing so as Buddy Holly's bassist (and not with the
Sun boys).

It also seemed like Cash's early singles were stretched out over a longer
period of time than they really did, in order to key certain songs to
biographical events, but that's no biggie.  I just noticed the Waylon stuff
because I recently read his autobiography, which, to get back on topic, was
cowritten by somtimes-Verlaine-bandmate Lenny Kaye!

Still, the movie was really moving in places...

-Rex