(TV) Days On The Mountain / Coy? / The Incredible Automaton / Un-torn Curtain / T RE: (TV) Fw: changing solo parts?

Per (or anyone else),

>As a guitarist I think this answer has it all.
>It's as simple as that.

I've gotta admit, unlike you Per, I'm disappointed
in Richard's (ahem!) "answer".  It sounds just like
something a Buddhist monk would say after you've
climbed all the way up K-2 to ask him a question
about existence (or for the answer to his koan).

>But I understand if some of you gets confused.
>**Can this really be the guy who always thinks
>of high notes?**

Yes--I am confused----make that bewildered!
The guy who wrote that can NOT be Mr. Highnote;
it's some god damn imposter whom Richard hired
at $12 an hour to write fake answers to the
hundreds  of questions people send every day
to Richard's web-site, so that Richard can
squeeze more guitar students into his schedule.
(it's even possible given Richard's various
technical inclinations that A.I. software he
created prints out gives fake answers for
$0/hour.)

Richard wrote:
>I wouldn't want to stop any lively discussion
>by providing answers to these questions.

Why you think Richard is being so coy here?
Any theories on why he so secretive and
doesn't want to explicitly (or even implicitly!)
give us an answer (this is not a rhetorical
question)?

Here's four plausible theories:

1) The true reason is very convoluted---it
involves several different considerations,
e.g., the truth could offend someone, or
risk person(s) misinterpreting his real
answer, thereby getting Richard into a lot
of trouble.

2) Tom has told Richard to, under no
circumstances, ever discuss this. For
whatever reason, Tom has done a complete
180: unlike the liner notes on their studio
albums with the info on who plays the solo
on each song, Tom now forbids the same info
be given out about live performances.

3) Age and bad habits have finally
caught up with Tom (actually they
caught up in 2002). The truth is that
Tom can no longer play his guitar in
a manner that meets his previous very
high standards. This is primarily due
to a combination of severe arthritis in
his fingers and adequate oxygen not
reaching his brain.

So, since early in 2002, he just does the
vocals, and gives an incredible simulation
of guitar playing on stage (his guitar is
actually never plugged into his amp). As a
result, Richard has to play both of their
parts (solos and rhythm) simultaneously.
This can eventually take its toll---even
on Richard.  Sometimes on longer European
tours, Richard's double-duty results
in such exhaustion that Alan Licht is
recruited to play Tom's parts behind a
curtain.

4) Tom is actually dead; that's a
beautiful robot you see (and hear)
on-stage---again created by Richard
and programmed to play perfect
variations of Toms parts.

Whichever way you look at it, the fact
that Richard won't give us a straight
answer, is all Tom's fault.

	Leo

(PS: In the event I have offended anyone
----I know it an inadequate excuse but my
mother had severe arthritis for 40 years.)