Re: (TV) keyboards

On 12/8/05, Russ Van Rooy <russvr@pop.nwnexus.com> wrote:

> The problem with keyboards is that key players are as ego-centric if not
> more-so, than guitarists; and it often devolves into a battle over who
> should be louder, take the longest solos... ect. As a guitarist, ( Pee Wees
> secret phrase of the week) I would want and expect keyboards to have a
> rhythm-section  only place in a band - with a couple exceptions.

Modern Lovers!

As a guitarist (you knew that was coming), I always had bands with
(surprise) 2-guitar lineups until this year.  I lost my co-guitarist and
coincidentally found out that a friend of mine played keys and was leaving
her band.  For a lark she came in and played with us and wound up in the
band for several terrific months.  I never thought that kind of lineup would
work for me, but she fit in perfectly, mostly playing '60's organ style
parts.  And yeah, it made us sound, happily, like the Modern Lovers.  It
also made me a lot better at being able to both sing lead and play lead
guitar from time to time... somebody had to do it, and I was the only guy in
the room with a six-stringed instrument in my hands.  It was a bummer when
she had to bow out.

-R