Re: (TV) Totally OT: King Kong review for Jay

On Dec 12, 2005, at 7:49 PM, Jay wrote:

i note that other critics, maybe ones with ties to new
york, have marveled at the amazing way in which
jackson recreates depression era nyc

True enough -- it's pretty cool to see Times Square so architecturally uncrowded. There's also a beautiful shot of (I believe) 5th Avenue and 34th street that feels like an old Warner Bros. movie colorized.

Hope you enjoy the movie; I seem to be in the minority in not loving it unconditionally.

but i will note in passing that there are two movies
which affected me most from my childhood, both of
which were favorites of my father, sort of a monster
in his own right: King Kong and The Incredible
Shrinking Man.

As Freud would say: IN-teresting. My dad's favorite movie was the Marx brothers' Duck Soup, which started my own old-movie addiction when I discovered it as a teenager a few years after he passed away. I sometimes think the media we get passed down from our parents can be more influential -- and troubling -- than the stuff we stumble onto on our own.