(TV) (OT) Throwing Muses - free music

Strange times for artists, making their own way when the business of selling music is almost always in opposition to the ways and means of making it available (uh. Yeah)

  Jane Siberry recently started making her back catalogue of songs available for download on a pay-what-you-will basis. A nice, trusting gesture to her fans! She calls it 'dumbing up' to her listeners, simply treating them the way she'd like to be treated.

  Currently it seems 9% are paying over the 'suggested' download fee - 9% paying under (or possibly, nothing), and the rest paying the suggested fee.
  www.sheeba.ca

  Keith wrote:

Kristin Hersh:

"Money has so polluted the music world that my overwhelming urge right
now is to divorce money from recorded music. Over the last 2 years
we've
been relying on standard 'industry' channels to help us educate
listeners about 50 Foot Wave and we've met resistance every step of the
way -- caused by little other than money -- and to an extent I've never
seen before. So we're sending free recordings off into the world to do
their work. If people enjoy these songs and are excited by them, we ask
that they share them with others. The music business is about fame and
huge profits -- egos and greed -- music itself, is not"

"With "Free Music" 50FootWave is seeking new earballs. We thought it'd
be interesting to ask for your energy & enthusiasm rather than your
money and see what happens. To that end, please share this music in any
and every way you see fit. Burn CDs, post the mp3s, seed Torrents --
whatever's comfortable for you."

"FREE MUSIC" EP - FLAC or mp3, and cover art:

http://www.throwingmusic.com/freemusic/