RE: (TV) anyone catch patti / tom at bowery ballroom?

I've now seen Tom play with Patti's band four times--twice at the Horses shows at the Brooklyn Academy of Music and both shows at the Bowery Ballroom. I couldn't see him the first Horses night and had trouble hearing him as well, but on the second Horses night I had a clear view of him across the stage from my vantage point at the extreme right, second row back. At the BB shows, I was variously two to four people back pretty much right in front of TV. He does a fantastic job of adding atmosphere and transcendence to Patti's songs, especially the more ethereal tunes--I think they come from a similar region of outer space. TV stands out especially on Beneath the Southern Cross, Dancing Barefoot, and--best of all--Ain't It Strange, on which he scrapes the strings with the top edge of a butter knife for a skittering, scratchy sound. I really love Patti's band (one of the clearest cases I've seen of a band being far better as a unit than any of the people are alone), and adding Tom to the mix makes it absolutely outstanding. TV does, basically, his TV thing with Patti's band--single notes struck at odd intervals, riffs repeated with minor variations, unusual tones produced in mysterious ways. He is an alchemist, just as Patti is a shaman. Best of all, though, they're both real people, and we're lucky enough to be able to hear what they have to say in real time (and endlessly repeated, thanks to the wonders of recording technology).

It seemed to me that Tom was feeling more comfortable on stage with each show and is finding his "place" in the band's soundscape. His playing interacts really well with Tony Shanahan's keyboard playing, and it was also my impression (I don't play, so I have no idea if I'm full of shit or not) that his and Lenny's guitar parts were meshing very nicely last night and that they are increasingly playing off each other rather than just playing the same song. I'm not a huge fan of Patti's clarinet playing (ahem), but somehow even it sounded good combined with TV's characteristically uncharacteristic (if you know what I mean) guitar playing. He also did a fine job of playing bass on Godspeed and several other songs the past two nights.

Well, I wish I could say important and wise things that would make each of you feel like you were there (as I wish you had been, although only if you were standing BEHIND me), but I've had a wee whiff of weed to cope with the brand-new-year,-same-old-story feelings that inevitably surface on New Year's Day and am thinking it's about time to retire for another hit. Best wishes to all of us for a happier, healthier, more peaceful year ahead that will bring us much great music to make it easier to deal with the bad things and enjoy the good things even more.