Re: (TV) Parsing Tom's Voice / P. Smith / Verlaine on WFMU archive

Keith or anyone:  In UK is a 'wag' a wuss or
worse? In the federal govt. work we do here,
a 'wag' stands for a 'wild-ass guess'

No, it's a humorous or witty person. Also a kind of dry, maybe even sarcastic, humour.

Both my American dictionaries give that definition for wag. Whereas wuss is not defined...

Yes, Tom is a wag. A lot of the time he's, as we say, taking the piss. But he injects just enough seriousness, like in the Uncut interview, to keep us hanging on his words.

On WMFU, I would guess that Tom got them to agree in advance that it would be only about the music they were playing.

His choice of listening makes you fear what he might come up with on the new albums, but, going on what has been described, the new Television songs are reassuring. And he's currently playing "traditional" rock...

--JoeT