Re: (TV) Indulge me/OT Nick Cave/Sundance

Been out of town for a while so just got back to the Frappr site -- what a wonderful thing, thanks Keith! Leo I know because we see each other skulking at local Boston shows, but for everyone else, face and online persona are a sideways match in really good, unexpected ways. Hey, Robin, forgive me if you've already covered this, but who's the grande dame in the wheelchair?

I've been at the Sundance film fest for the last week, which is only relevant here because I got to meet Nick Cave at a party for this excellent outback western he wrote and scored, "The Proposition" (opens in theaters this spring, I think, and recommended if you're into Leone or Peckinpah or Cave or Guy Pearce). The man exudes an actual, physical force-field of cool; I was unable to maintain journalistic impartiality and babbled like a teenage girl. He was very pleasant in spite of this. (He also sings two songs in the Leonard Cohen concert film that screened here; it's Nick Cave's Sundance, we just live in it.)

Two other movies there that might be of interest to list-members: "American Hardcore," a nice documentary on the US punk bands of the Reagan era -- Minor Threat, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, etc etc. Gets points for A) covering the scenes in all the cities, not just Southern California, B) making Henry Rollins look like a pussy, and C) reminding us how very good Bad Brains were. Also, "Heart of Gold," the new Neil Young concert movie directed by Jonathan Demme, which was a lot better than I was expecting (my expectations were medium low). It's acoustic Neil rather than electric but given his recent medical emergencies and family losses, there's a lot of death hanging around the fringes. Different than "Stop Making Sense," obviously, but not unworthy of comparison. Pretty moving, actually.

There was a Beastie Boys movie there too, but I didn't see it.

Sorry, I'm still in reportorial mode. And on mountain time. Good night.

Ty