(TV) Beat Topic To Death / A Fly Ball To Deep, Deep, Center Field / On the Street / Nice Little Project / Face & Destiny

Hi,
I was a surprised that as many women responded to the
question, thus sparing the List a detailed psycho-analysis
of my recent TV and The Cars (circa-1978) dream.
Laura wrote
>Don't agree he looks bad now. Still pretty real in appearance.

Seena wrote
>I have always thought Verlaine was very good-looking.  I've
>run into  him on the streets of NYC, and although he's older
>like we all are, I still  think he looks great!

I didn't mean to imply that he's still not a very striking
looking individual, and yes he looks very real--but IMHO, he
has aged dramatically in last 7-8 years; to my eyes he looks
older than the *average* man does who's in his mid 50's [he
looks 10-12 years older to me] I know a lot of men his age
and most (didn't say all) don't look like they're in their 60s.

Granted, the entire topic itself is rally silly--it doesn't
matter what he looks like---just as long he just keeps
putting out his 2-3 albums a year as he has done every
year (except for 1985 and 1994).

That being said, I still think he looks unhealthy. T
he other 3 members of Television
have certainly aged (e.g., a little paunchy) [except
for Ficca, who seems ageless despite his life-long cig
habit--unlike Tom, Billy made a deal with the
devil so that he'd be immune to benzene---or maybe he's
part vampire], they don't look unhealthy. Also---e.g.,
Bowie, Springsteen, Reed, Ferry, and P. Smith are all
older, but look much younger and healthier than
TV--although Bowie, a former cig man who had a death-wish
lifestyle, probably has had a face lift.

I think my [unhealthy?  morbid?] interest in Tom's
relatively recent appearance stems from:

1) I'm just a selfish bastard: I want him to live for
a long time so he's recorded oeverve will be large.
As we saw when the remastered MM and Adventure albums
came out, there was surprisingly little of other
stuff in the vaults. I always hoped when Tom left this
world he'd finally get more of the recognition he
deserves as a guitarist, musician, and very often
overlooked:  as a composer/arranger. Andt as was the
case with Hendrix, they'd later find all this great
(and not so great) unreleased stuff.

2) I 've probably read too many articles [1970s-2000+]
containing too many photographs of TV---and I probably
still have too vivid memories from all his 1981-1992 shows,
so I may be over-sensitized to even moderate physical changes.
Analogous to Ty's reactions to Nick Cave " [he]..exudes
an actual, physical force-field of cool ...", on-stage, Tom
had this *presence*, an aura---a life-force beyond
corporal--an otherworldliness (but in the best sense of
that word); it was ineffable duende that was almost spooky.
(I can 'almost' hear Dennis laughing if he reads this, as he
knows the real Tom , the funny, sometimes goofy, ordinary[?]
guy he actually is  :>) .) But sorry, that's what I've always
felt/saw whether imagined or real).  But now's it's gone; I
don't see it in photos or feel it's there anymore at
concerts--but maybe that's a good thing. And maybe it as never
existed in the first place--------but it did.

"He's the kid in the back of every high school classroom--the
one you never thought could talk. The one you try to remember
(and can't) when you see his face in the newspaper because he's
had a tragic accident or committed some shocking crime. You'd
least expect to find him a rock cult hero, purveying terminal
romanticism to an amplified beat. But Tom Verlaine isn't your
run-of-the-mill rock hero. He refuses to swagger; he couldn't
strike a pose if he tried. If he's the Jesus of Cool, it's
because, as he says, 'I don't care.'"

3) You might've thought I just went way, deep to center-field,
esp. on the nuttiness-scale, but this one may sound like I've
positively gone off the 'deep' end of the pool:
Probably totally obvious[?], but-- I remember reading an author
who said when we [or at least Christians, or ex-Christians]
go to wakes and we stand/knell at the casket, we think more
about our own deaths than the person's before us. (The same guy
wrote that the degree that a culture is obsessed with sex is
almost directly related to the degree to which its members avoid
confronting their own mortality). So, I'm probably worrying too
much about TV's cigs and life-span as a way to avoid thinking
about the mortality of people close to me--and my own.)
OTOH, a long time ago, another guy wrote, "The wise person
thinks less about death than anything else."

To break the funereal tone, here's a joke (answer below):
What's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish wake?

Nancy wrote:
> ... and I'd say he's about average now (if we were all honest,
>we'd admit that most of us look pretty effin' bad these days).
>I've been about 20 feet from him at least five times in the
>past couple of years  ...and while he doesn't look the picture
>of health, He looks like he's done some livin', which is, of
>course, why we all love him.

Very well put.

	Leo

PS: A nice little project for someone (I'd do it, but as was
obvious from my previous post, I lack the necessary skills
to manipulate electronic files of photos), would be to get
together a large number of photographs of Tom in chronological
order (from the one in the Chinatown loft were he looks so
scrawny a good breeze would have blown him over, to the
ones in Brazil 2005), and then cleverly make an interactive
web-page [using SQL , of course :>) ] so that the computer
flips thru the photos fairly fast so that we get to see Tom
age/morph before our eyes :>). Kinda like in that neat little
creation that was on Public tv about 10 years ago, where the
entire history of the US from 1776 to 1996 flashes by in 90
seconds of images (or something like you used to see on Monty
Python).

PPS: All those women who said they run into Tom on the
streets occasionally---just curious, what do you say when
you run into him? And if he doesn't respond to you verbally,
does he give you a wink of his eye, as he did once to Philip?

PPPS:
B.:  It's an interesting face.
B.:  (Now frustrated by lack of response). I'm surrounded
by cattle. They wouldn't know an interesting face
from a sow's belly.
------------------------------------
Mr. A: I believe your name will be a household word
when you'll have to go to the Museum to find who I
was. You're the most extraordinary man I've ever met.

TV.: Leave me alone!

Mr. A: What?

TV: Leave me alone!

Mr. A: Well, that's a feeble thing to say.

TV: I know I'm not ordinary.

Mr. A: . That's not what I'm saying. . .

TV: All right! I'm extraordinary! What of it?

Mr. A:  Not many people have a destiny, T.; it's
a terrible thing for a man to waste it if he has it.