Re: (TV) David / Byrds

On 1/31/06, Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't know anything about the Byrds but I bought Tania  "Crosby,
> Stills & Nash" and I thought it was the most appalling drivel - but then
> I have no soul.

Is that "Crosby Stills & Nash" or "CSN"?  The former is listenable to me
because it falls between The Byrds/Buffalo Springfield, and the generally
acceptable CSNY "Deja Vu", both sonically and chronologically.  The latter
is actually a Jimmy Buffet record, to judge by the facts that (A) I only
ever have to hear it on sailing trips, and (B) it sucks.

It must be understood that in my personal but entirely correct opinion,
Stephen Stills went directly from nearly-brilliant to complete shit
instantaneously when Buffalo Springfield folded.  Meanwhile Crosby retained
some talent but got very confused, eventually, as noted, forgetting his own
name (sort of understandable because he also seems to have turned physically
into an entirely different being, if you look at his photos from the Byrds
days as opposed to his Melissa Etheridge sperm donor epoch).  Neil Young
occasionally showed up to lend some good songs until he realized that nobody
really wanted to wade through the obligatory CSNY reunions for his
worthwhile tunes, so why not just use them as a dumping ground for his
misfires.  Meanwhile CSN made records that I don't even know what they are
because they are so bad, but they are beloved by many people who don't even
know that Crosby was in the Byrds because they are very, very, stoned at all
moments.  One of those records includes a thing called "Some Shit About The
Southern Cross" which is very bad and "Wasted On The Way" (which is
self-explanatory), and another one shows hot dogs on the cover (which is
not).

And now you know... the rest of... the story.

-Rex "I miss Great Pop Things" Broome