Re: (TV) David / Byrds

On 1/31/06, Joe Hartley <jh@brainiac.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:55:19 -0800 (PST)
> Micah <noahbrtn@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Another voice in the chorus.  One of my fave tunes ever is Gene's
> "Here Without You".  Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey (of the dBs)
> did a great cover of it on their Mavericks album.

I remember doing a gig at the Whiskey many years ago where I played a lot of
12-string, and after the show the sound guy put on "Here Without You".  I
looked at the bassist and said, hey, they were actually paying attention to
what we sounded like.  And he replied, "I can't believe they even have this
album".  I said, "Dude, the Byrds used to play here all the time."  He said,
"Is this the Byrds? I thought it was Peter Holsapple and Chris Stamey."
(Their cover is admittedly very faithful.)

If you can find it, Gene's Firebyrd album is very good indeed.

I far prefer "White Light" and "No Other", both recently reissued.  But for
a guy whose later life was notoriously messed up, he did manage to put out a
string of albums which are almost all terrific.  "Roadmaster" is damned
fine, too, and the two-disc compilation "Flying High" is nicely
comprehensive considering all the label-hopping Clark did.

-Rex