Re: (TV) Crosby/Byrds/Christgau

On 1/31/06, Joe Thornton <joe.thornton@gmx.net> wrote:

> I'm surprised Keith found nothing to like on the first CSN album. I always
> loved "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" and the Crosby songs "Wooden Ships" and
> "Long
> Time Gone".

I can understand it, even if I disagree.  If you start with a working
knowledge/hatred of The Eagles (etc.) or even later CSN and then work
backwards, that record could seem to contain the seeds of much that flowered
foully in the ensuing years.

I first heard most of it on "So Far", where it was jumbled up with half of
"Deja Vu" and some choice singles.  So as different as "Crosby Stills and
Nash" and "Deja Vu" are, I still almost think of of the stuff on the debut
record that ISN'T on "So Far" as, like, bonus tracks, and not bad ones, and
I probably gloss over the Neil-lessness and lack of edge to it.

I bet I would like "If Only I Could Remember My Name", if only I could
remember to buy it and listen to it.

-Rex