Re: (TV) David / Byrds

On 1/31/06, Michael Olcsvary <olcsvary@verizon.net> wrote:

> And
> I consider David Crosby to be one of the best rhythm guitarists, period.
> Listen to what he does behind the solo on "Feel a Whole Lot Better," or on
> "Why" when the band's just hanging on a D chord for the solo
> sections.  Now
> setting "gush" mode to "off."

Oh man, there are tons more examples.  "Everybody's Been Burned"... and I
know I'm not the only one who can even pick out those weird, beautiful
Crosby voicings on the early CSN(Y) stuff.  Having converted myself into a
primarily-strumming frontman, I think I'd take a guitar lesson from Crosby
over just about anyone.

I actually made a demo which took its (surprisingly funky) drum loop from
"What's Happening?!?!?!?" (punctuation approximate).  Due to the extreme
stereo separation of its vintage, there were sections where one channel had
nothing but Michael Clarke's drums and Crosby's guitar... which was playing
in a key a whole step above the song I was recording, requiring me to capo
it, and it occurred to me that I was probably not the first musician who had
to adjust his arrangement to accommodate Crosby's playing.  It was a killer
drum loop, though... I hope someone more techno-oriented than I has
discovered it and used it to phat effect, or something like that.

-Rex