(TV) OT -- the genesis of famous pop songs

No, nothing about Peter Gabriel here, nor Tom Verlaine. But some of this
article is interesting:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0,,1716162,00.html

Particularly "How Soon Is Now". Now there's one great song that strikes you as
great the first time you hear it...

  The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
  UK chart position: #24, February 1985; # 16, September 1992

  'Johnny Marr (guitarist, the Smiths): As a kid I was fascinated by Hamilton
Bohannon's Disco Stomp and New York Groove by Hello, and I wanted to make
something with that stomp. The first decent amp I got was the Fender Twin
because the Patti Smith Group used it, and it had this amazing tremolo. Later
when we'd had a few hits, a review of What Difference Does It Make said I'd
written a riff that was instantly recognisable, which fascinated me. One night
I was playing for my own pleasure and I suddenly got the riff. It all came
together - the tremolo and the stomping groove - for what became How Soon Is
Now, although my demo was titled Swamp. Because it was a groove track it
originally appeared as an extra track on a 12-inch, but popular clamour forced
its single release. I remember when Morrissey first sang: "I am the son and
the heir ..." [Producer] John Porter went, "Ah great, the elements!" Morrissey
continued, " ... of a shyness that is criminally vulgar." I knew he'd hit the
bullseye there and then.'

Note also the Buzzcocks. Hey Leo, the last time I was in Boston, it was around
1992, I saw the Buzzcocks. Were you there? A great gig...

--JoeT
Checked by AVG Free Edition.