(TV) A website for my band

Right, I've bought the URL and got web hosting - but I
created a web page in Microsoft Frontpage (don't
laugh, well ok do if you must) and uploaded it using
frontpage's publish function - but the page doesn't
work at all! In any way whatsoever! YAY! And it's crap
anyway and I hate the program and it's most difficult
and unintuitive (is that a word) piece of crap to use
ever.

So I've decided screw this microsoft nonsense, I'll do
it myself in HTML - but then I got thinking, surely
there is an easier way for me to design it without
wading through miles of code and spending ages
learning HTML - so does anyone know of a free program
that can do website layout and stuff that isn't
totally complex (I just want the site to be really
simple in appearance) and is free or shareware or
something?

I just don't want to go and have to buy an expensive
web design package! Surely someone out there has done
this for their band?