Re: (TV) woohoo!

On 3/14/06, tom <thomas@bigdayphoto.com> wrote:

> > --- Rex Broome <rexbroome@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Whoa there... without eBay I'd never have met my dream guitar.
> >

> > what'd ya get?  i'm nervous about buying guitars on ebay (but
> > am looking for an electric upgrade).
>
> Yeah, what did you get?

Admittedly I was totally lucky... I think you have to look at the vendor (in
my case it was a high volume pawnshop outfit, and those guys have to
maintain positive feedback ot keep business going, so they're less likely to
screw you).  In my case I got a mid-80's Rickenbacker 330 which is perfect
for what I'm doing with my band these days (fronting a 3-piece a la The
Jam).  It was advertised as virtually unplayed and my winning bid was just
over $700 so it was a reasonable risk, I thought.  And it really was
practically untouched when I got it (although it's been played plenty
since).

But yeah, I was lucky.  I don't think I'd do it again.  I was playing less
when I bought it and needed a 6-string in short order.  Now that I'm playing
more regularly I audition gear as a rule, so I guess my story is exactly the
same as Maurice's.

-Rex