Re: (TV) maurice rickard, science guy, and, i don't wanna die

On 4/3/06, Keith Allison <keith@marquee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <20060403133336.81133.qmail@web54314.mail.yahoo.com>, robin
> dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> writes
> >i knew i was stepping into a male domain...
>
> Don't worry Robin, I for one don't have the faintest idea what Maurice
> was talking about.

It sure was intense, though!

Here's one for Maurice, because the two tube amps interfering with each
other thing caught my attention.

Generally my band rehearses with my tube amp and the bassist's ss amp, the
bass amp being by the wall closest to the street.  All fine and dandy.  Now
occasionally we've had another guitarist come in and set up next to the bass
amp (closer to the street than my amp).  When said guitar is running a solid
state amp, no biggie.  But if it's another tube amp, weird shit happens to
that amp, like buzzes and farts as cars drive by, maybe fragments of cell
phone transmissions, scanners or scanner detectors, or other electronic
emissions being channeled through it.  Huh?  And at one rehearsal the
bassist and I switched sides, and sure enough I got occasional (but not very
frequent) buzz-bys and thought I detected more background hum than usual.
The hum coulda been something from the power supply, but the intermittent
noises do seem to be triggered by stuff out on the street.  Everyone seems
to accept this as normal, but how discrete amps turn into receivers (and why
tube amps do it more than ss ones) I really don't understand.

Blind me with science!

-Rex