Re: (TV) Vocals & Vox Populi

On 4/14/06, robin dunn <rdunnrn@yahoo.com> wrote:

> one friend, usually smart about music, said she
> absolutely could not listen to television (of course i
> was trying to force her!) -- because of the vocals.
> which of course never bother me.

I remember that the first time I ever heard Tom's vocals-- at age 16,
listening through headphones to the vinyl cutout copy of "Dreamtime" that I
found between Musical Youth and Kenny Rogers at GC Murphy's next to Foodland
in Westernport MD-- thinking pretty much instantly and simultaneously "I'm
going to have to have everything this guy ever did and follow his career for
the rest of my life", and "I can never let my parents hear me listening to
someone who sings like this because they will think that there is something
very very wrong with me."

Of course in 2006 a lot of really popular artists sing a lot like Tom used
to in the old days.  I think that vaguely strangulated style got passed down
and arguably refined by the more popular postpunk and new wave bands of the
'80's who are suddenly the prevalent influence on so many bands today...
so...  you can either sing like the red-headed stepchild of Tom or Ian
Curtis and get very, very rich these days!

-Rex