Thanks & I'm in just about total agreement / RE: (TV) Tom live in Pittsburgh, 6/10/06

Maurice,

What a wonderfully written review; it almost made me feel I was there (&I
wish I had been) especially your description:

> Late in the set, during "Persia," I walked around and heard Tom's glorious
>tone bouncing off the city's buildings, and occasionally the high bluff
>across the river..

He played the exact same set as the Thurs. May 18, NYC show.

>and even once they'd gotten on stage, they played pre-recorded strings +
>piano music from the classical repertoire for quite some

Do you know if by any chance it was a tape of Debussey or Ravel?  I've seen
Television shows that "start" with tape of those guys (TV's a fan.).

I wrote a long review of this show in longhand in pencil on the back of a
manila folder on my AMTRAK ride home, but it would take me forever to type
it up.  But just about all of my review agreed with your observations.

E.g.:
>Kingdom Come (This one seemed at times to be a bit obligatory for
>Tom, but when Louie picked things up toward the end, it seemed to
>really energize him and Jimmy, as Tom kept pumping his right hand on
>static notes for quite some time.)

I thought it was a below average rendition of the song compared to 1981-82,
1987, and 1987 Tours.

I also thought too many of his songs at NYC show featured outros/endings
with a long repetitive rave-up  or as you describe  "...static notes for
quite some time")

> The Earth Is in the Sky ....  Actually this live version was not an
>improvement--

True at Thurs. night NYC show too.

>Tom skipped some lyrics, and it was a bit perfunctory,

Ditto (although he didn't insert "THIS earth").

>Words from the Front (absolutely glorious, spellbinding.  I got
>chills.  Particularly on these solos, ....

I thought this song at the NYC show was stupendous---probably the best
version I've ever seen him do.

>Shingaling ..Really enjoyable in most places, though
>at times it seemed a bit overlong,

Yes.

>followed by sections that redeemed the others; ..

Yes.

>Pillow (a really tender version of my favorite tune from _The Wonder_,
>beautiful)

I was very surprised when he did this at NYC show and very happy
he played it.  It was almost acappella at NYC show, and I think
(could be wrong) 'Pillow' was his very first encore and came
immediately after the jerk yelled out "You sucked tonight!!"

I'm sure Tom had planned on singing Pillow as encore, but it almost seemed
he did this song at that point in the set-list as his way  of saying "Fuck
You" to that nut.

>Persia (epic and mighty, with long, glorious solos from Tom...

Yes.  This was the absolute highlight of the NY show.

>Much stronger than the Fabrik version with Television,

Yup.

>After this, "Marquee Moon" would have been superfluous.

I like when he doesn't play MM at every show as its length frees up time for
3-4 of his new songs.

Just one complaint Maurice.
Next time tell that crazy woman
and Tom to get off of the walkway!  :>)