The Scoop Unabridged / RE: (TV) CD's of the first solo album

Rex wrote
>There are differing run times on some of the tracks, so can
>anyone with time on their hands tell me which is which based
>on the following run times:

>VERSION 1:
>Grip of Love 4:00
>Kingdom Come: 3:38
>Yonki Time 3:53
>Last Night 4:47

>VERSION 2:
>Grip of Love 3:58
>Kingdom Come 3:41
>Yonki Time 3:54
>Last Night 4:37

>Note that my Collector's Choice reissue was the first version
>they shipped, which if I recall correctly was a different mix
>from the original CD... did they ever really re-reissue it?
>If so did it revert to a clone of the original CD, or was it
>yet a third distinctly version?

Here is the SCOOP(and contains all answers to your questions):

Collectors' Choice (CC) Reissue/Remaster Of Verlaine's 1st
Solo Album, Tom Verlaine, NYC, the Wrong Master Of The Studio
Tapes; and "Collectors' Choice (CC) Reissue/Remaster Of
Verlaine's 1st Solo Album, Tom Verlaine, NYC, the Correct
Master Of The Studio Tapes" (Leo received two copies of the
former, i.e., the wrong master version, on September 19, 2002
via mail order from Collectors' Choice.)

Description/Saga:  In September 2002, Collectors' Choice (CC)
in issuing Verlaine's 1979 1st solo LP album, Tom Verlaine as a
remastered cd, used the wrong master tapes/mixes. The differences
are quite striking, but not for the better.  A few examples of
the differences on the 'CC wrong mix/version':  a) no organ on
'Kingdom Come'; b) nor on 'Flash Lightning'; c) drums too
prominent on some tracks; and d) the guitar solo on 'Breakin'
In My Heart' is inferior to the original.

It is important to realize that it is not just a different mix,
i.e., not simply that particular instrument(s) on the original
tracks are more prominent or have been mixed-entirely-out, but
that some tracks are entirely different versions from the original
tracks:  solos, and even sung lyrics and song lengths are
sometimes different!  The differences are especially noticeable
on 'The Grip of Love', 'Souvenir From A Dream', and 'Flash
Lightning' (if there is no organ on 'Flash Lightning', then you
have do not have the correct mix/version on the 1979 LP).  In
1979, Elektra had asked Bob Clearmountain to remix the entire
LP, and it's his mix[version] you hear on the Elektra released
1979 Tom Verlaine LP.

In the following short quote any words in inside a [    ] are
not Philip's original words.

Philip wrote:  "The easiest way to tell the 'CC wrong
mix[version]' (aka the 'CC alternate') from the correct
mix/version (i.e., the 'Clearmountain mix[version]') is to
compare [listen to] 'The Grip of Love'.  On the
'Clearmountain mix[version]', right after the 'Well don't
that buckle my belt' intro to the chorus, Verlaine first
sings, 'Sure had me in your hand' (right around 1:38).
On the 'CC alternate' (and The Lost Mix, 1979), Verlaine
sings, 'Sure got it in your hand' at the same point (1:38)."

Philip wrote:  "Here's another way to determine which version
of the Collector Choice re-issue/re-master you have: 'Last
Night' runs 4:37 on the correct Collector Choice cd version
(i.e., the LP version), whereas on the incorrect Collector
Choice reissue/remaster, it runs 4:47." [In the MM List
Archives are all of the e-mails on this topic including all
the details of the differences between the two mixes.]

Due to Philip's and Ice Magazine's efforts, Warner Brothers,
Elektra, and Collectors' Choice acknowledged their mistake,
and CC's 'wrong mix/version', was withdrawn. A remastered cd
with the correct mix/version (i.e., the 'Clearmountain
mix/version') was issued by Collectors' Choice in late
January 2003.  The correct mix/version and remastered cd
was sold via mail order from CC, and was available in retail
stores; whereas the 'CC alternate' version was never sold
in retail stores but only through CC's mail-order catalogue.

However, there is no way to distinguish between the
store-bought 'CC correct mix', and the previously bought
via Collectors' Choice 2002 catalogue 'CC alternate'.  You
cannot distinguish any difference between these two versions
by simply looking at the jewel box, reading writing on the
cd, itself, or from reading the liner notes!