Re: (TV) Roxy Show

On 6/21/06, Deana Dearry <vivawisconsin@ameritech.net> wrote:

> The show was nothing short of fantastic. It seems to me the Roxy has been
> remodeled but it has been a while since I was there last. In any case an
> intimate venue with a good ... uh... vibe. Ha! I am still chuckling about
> Tom's obsession with the buzz onstage. I was right in front of him and
> from
> the moment he stepped onstage and plugged in he was Don Quixote battling
> that
> buzz. When they weren't playing, it was a pretty irritating fuzz but I
> didn't
> notice any distortion when the music was happening.

Yeah, it was like ambient buzz from the electrical system.  That kinda stuff
mystifies me (like when my amp picks up police scanners and such) but as
much as they were irked by it they also laughed it off.

Verlaine even stopped mid-song/mid-set and ripped the Danelectro out
> of his setup - still no change. That break and one other song I thought we
> might be losing Tom's focus a little.

"Scientist" for sure... it was actually amazing that the band followed him
completely dropping two major sections of it.  It's still cool to hear Ripp
do all that synth stuff on guitar, but I heard them do this on much better
at the Viper Room in the '90's.

> Otherwise, he seemed particularly
> vibrant and engaged - especially vocally!

Agreed... he only flagged during that middle section, but got his steam back
just fine.  A little weak on "Persia" but that's still a work in progress, I
figure (and it is cool how his vocal follows his guitar line note for note).

  'Heavenly Charm' was the standout for me but I also thought 'Orbit' and
> the aforementioned 'Shingaling' were absolutely smokin'!! I really hope
> Tom
> does more of these gigs in support of his new albums.

"Charm" live totally buries the album version, and "Shingaling" is a monster
with Tom and Ripp going at it... sort of a surprise.

The Iceland thing is a festival of some sort that also features a reunion
performance by Throwing Muses... and that's the top of the short list of
semi-retired bands I try to see whenever I can.  Wish I could be there.

-Rex