(TV) Roxy Show

>From: "Leo Casey" <LeoCasey@comcast.net>
>Anyone who was at Friday's Roxy Show care to weigh in?  Did anyone have a
>good time?

Good time?!?! How sweet is life when work foots the bill for 11 days on the
West Coast (for a Midwest girl) and an opportunity to see and hear Verlaine
and Co.?!?

The show was nothing short of fantastic. It seems to me the Roxy has been
remodeled but it has been a while since I was there last. In any case an
intimate venue with a good ... uh... vibe. Ha! I am still chuckling about
Tom's obsession with the buzz onstage. I was right in front of him and from
the moment he stepped onstage and plugged in he was Don Quixote battling that
buzz. When they weren't playing, it was a pretty irritating fuzz but I didn't
notice any distortion when the music was happening. Tom pestered Ripp about
the buzz from the start but Jimmy tried to keep Tom cool about it. Both Ripp
and Verlaine gave the pedals and rakes waves and shakes several times during
the show and Tom asked for the drum monitor to be shut off at one point but no
change. Verlaine even stopped mid-song/mid-set and ripped the Danelectro out
of his setup - still no change. That break and one other song I thought we
might be losing Tom's focus a little. Otherwise, he seemed particularly
vibrant and engaged - especially vocally! Fred was looking and sounding as
cool and strong as ever. The guy on drums was talented but a little too heavy
a hitter on some tunes for me. And Ripp? Wow! My Shingaling ... my shingaling
... I had seen Verlaine & Ripp perform together before at one of Tom's silent
movie gigs but I wasn't prepared for how heavy they could rock together! As
someone else mentioned, Tom said something to the crowd about the buzz. I
think that's the only thing he said all night - other than introducing the
band. 'Heavenly Charm' was the standout for me but I also thought 'Orbit' and
the aforementioned 'Shingaling' were absolutely smokin'!! I really hope Tom
does more of these gigs in support of his new albums.

My sister used my tickets for the gig in Chicago (originally scheduled for
Metro but moved to the Double Door) and she said the small, but enthusiastic
crowd was mesmerized! She asked me, "Exactly how does he make those sounds
come out of a guitar?" I found myself wondering exactly the same thing last
Friday night...

Anybody have details on the TV gig in Iceland?!?! I'm there! :o)

Deana